There's More to Life Than Knitting!

Join Suna as she stops knitting long enough to ponder her life, share her joys and concerns, and comment on the goings on in the world.
You are very welcome here, so feel free to comment and contribute!

Saturday, October 1, 2005

What have I been knitting?

afghan in foliage
What have I been knitting? Trying out the Blogger for Word feature, I’ll write in Word and see if it uploads. So, here we go.

As I said earlier, I made LOTS of scarves to sell at a boutique on South Congress that features only the work of local “artists.” I am enjoying being thought of as an artist. However, in order to get me a reasonable amount plus their commission, the price is, well, to me, pricey. I hope some rich people came by this month. I made a combination of Eros scarves and various types of fluffy yarns, plus a few with textures. It was a great opportunity to try out a variety of yarns. One, Foliage, made me so happy that…

I have made two things from that yarn already! One is a very bright afghan out of mitered squares, which I am sending (any second now) to my friend, Marcia, who has a new house with brightly colored walls. The pattern is in the Berocco book that has a dog sweater on the cover, but I just read the instructions and winged it from there, and I added a crochet border. The other item is a rather interesting looking vest (from the Berocco web site) in blues and greens and purples that I just finished today. I hadn’t planned to actually make the border, then said, “Oh, what the heck,” and I ended up liking it.

I’ve also made quite a few felted items, most of which have already been given away. One very large bag has taught me that perhaps Lopi is too thick for the Lucy bag. I think its intended recipient will like it, once I surgerize the extremely long main strap that didn’t felt too well (not surprised at that). The bag is for a man with MS, who needs both hands to go up and down stairs. He will use the bag to carry items up and down. I am considering asking the friend who commissioned it if she wants me to try again in Cascade.


black and white sockAnd of course I have made lots of socks. They are so nice for sitting on busses, sitting at football games, waiting at doctor’s offices, dealing with church meeting stress, etc. I will just show one here—the rest I will add to my knitting portfolio page eventually (maybe today if I am not totally exhausted from high school band parenting).

And booties! Cute little baby booties that will be given away at a shower tomorrow. I am very proud of the blue ones, which I used to learn how to do figure 8 cast on. That let me make the entire thing in one piece. Ooh, ahh. Both bootie patterns are from the Knitting Pattern a Day calendar. I think both are in the 2006 one. The 2005 calendar had the pattern for the socks in the picture from September 30.

No comments: