There's More to Life Than Knitting!

Join Suna as she stops knitting long enough to ponder her life, share her joys and concerns, and comment on the goings on in the world.
You are very welcome here, so feel free to comment and contribute!

Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year's Meme


I got these off the blog of a Facebook friend. Since I am still having trouble writing about my actual life, here's some generic answers to questions, and a nice photo of Beccano and Rose, Jeff's mother, when we went to visit her in her new west Austin condo for the elderly. She is doing MUCH better.

1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
Voiceovers for online training courses.

2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
No, I just keep trying to learn.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Two of my knitting friends.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Lee's sister died, though I didn't know her. And George, my dad's best friend, died.

5. What countries did you visit?
New Mexico. Ha ha.

6. What would you like to have in 2010 which you lacked in 2009?
A job with benefits. That has been the wish since 2006.

7. What date from 2009 will remain etched in your memory, and why?
I am not clear on the date, but I will never forget the day I dropped Tuba Boy off for college. I was happy for him, but felt a huge loss.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I coped with an organization changing into something I didn't like much in a productive, proactive way. And I did not take it personally. I gained a new skill and made a positive contribution to my community. I wish I had managed that with the Dysfunctional Nonprofit Organization.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Did not get a job I really, really wanted and thought I was very qualified for. I regret not getting to work with the interesting people and topics.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I managed to get through the years of no insurance without going bankrupt! No major illnesses or injuries!

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Either my beautiful Dell Studio 17-inch computer or the two pieces of gorgeous, heavy Mexican turquoise jewelry I got for Lee and myself at the Yulefest.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
I have been very impressed with the behavior of the members of the Diamond Dachshund Rescue. They save a lot of puppy mill dogs and have been incredibly kind to animals. I don't really know any of these people, but admire their dedication.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
All hate mongers (deleted a list of names) and politicians who FLAUNT that they are controlled by businesses and not the interest of the people they represent.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Things that broke (air conditioners, cars, water heaters...blah blah).

15. What did you get really excited about?
Marching band, knitting, politics, learning my job

16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
Carol of the Bells (kid played it in band)

17. Compared to this time last year, are you: Happier or sadder? Thinner or fatter? Richer or poorer?
Neither happier nor sadder, a bit fatter, probably richer but the work keeps going away.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Traveled with Lee and the kids.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Applying for jobs.

20. How did you spend New Year’s Eve 2009?
Went to church friend Janet's house, as I have done most years since 1998. We ate and talked and didn't do anything embarrassing. Had a bit of fun, then came home.

21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
Still in love with the husband. Loved a few different yarns.

22. What was your favorite TV program?
Fringe.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I'm not a big hater. But I grew to dislike some Fox News personnel more than I did before. And my disappointment in some former friends/colleagues of mine deepened greatly.

24. What was the best book you read?
I Am a Strange Loop, by Douglas Hoffstadter, which I am still reading.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Animal Collective

26. What did you want and get?
A job with nice, fun, and interesting coworkers.

27. What did you want and not get?
A permanent position with benefits.

28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Star Trek (didn't see a lot this year)

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old did you turn?
I turned 51. I don't remember what I did. I looked back at this blog (back when I actually wrote stuff!) and see that we went to a Spanish restaurant with Beccano and Parker, and listened to Jeff's band play. Too bad that band never took off.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
That elusive job. I am not obsessed about that, just it is a priority--the economy is bad enough, and the instability is really hard on my issues. Hence, few blog posts.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
I am back to wearing a nice top and jeans, often with something I knitted. I guess I am slightly funky casual.

32. What kept you sane?
Lee, Beccano, accepting friends, knitting.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Fancy...Jon Stewart, I guess.

34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Health care reform. Affects me so much.

35. Whom did you miss?
Lydia. Tuba Boy. Dad (haven't seen him since our wedding).

36. Who was the best new person (people) you met?
My coworkers.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
You'll get by, but you probably won't get ahead.


38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

I've been chasing grace, but grace ain't so easily found.

--New Year's greetings to those of you still following.

No comments: