There's More to Life Than Knitting!

Join Suna as she stops knitting long enough to ponder her life, share her joys and concerns, and comment on the goings on in the world.
You are very welcome here, so feel free to comment and contribute!

Monday, January 26, 2009

2008 Year in Review

I got the meme below from someone else's blog, but lost my link to it while reading in Bloglines. Brilliant. So, thanks, original person. I am lazy so I also posted this in Facebook as my response to the 25 Random Things about Me meme, because I just can't think of enough things.

It was a long weekend with Lee sick and me frustrated because knitting wasn't going the way I wanted. But I went to a lovely 30th anniversary ceremony and party, done by the same officiant who did our wedding, and I enjoyed some friend time on Saturday. Otherwise, we watched movies on the giant television we got last week at the Circuit City demise sale. The thing makes me dizzy, and it isn't even the biggest size.

Report cards came out and no one failed the semester, so I have no complaints. OK, so, I'd like Lee to feel better, me and Beccano to get over our tummy issues, and healing to go out to people who have lost loved ones in my circle, but other than that no complaints. Anyway, here's 2008 in review, and a nice flower from the garden.

2008: It's Over Now

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before? I helped write a wedding service that was exactly what I always wanted.

2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I think I resolved to survive, and I did that.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? My friends in choir had a precious baby boy, and I’ve enjoyed watching him grow and reading the blog about him—this baby is being raised by very thoughtful, intelligent parents with good senses of humor. Bodes well.

4. Did anyone close to you die? No. People I cared about died, but no one in the immediate family or my close circle of friends. (However, in the last week, there has been plenty of deaths and near-deaths to worry about.)

5. What countries did you visit? South Texas?

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008? A job with benefits, reasonable pay and non-abusive coworkers.
7. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? November 29, the day Lee and I were married.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Planning and executing that wedding while remaining in good spirits.

9. What was your biggest failure? Being unable to stick it out at the University long enough to transfer to a nicer department.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? I had severe anxiety attacks from March through May.
11. What was the best thing you bought? My kids’ guitars, though one still isn’t here yet. They should be lifelong friends.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Tuba Boy’s social skills totally amaze me, and his political growth was admirable. Beccano’s dedication to music pleased me greatly.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? The female coworkers and boss in the job from March-May. Bullying in the workplace is ugly.

14. Where did most of your money go? Home repairs. Wonderful ones.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? The wedding! Duh!

16. What song will always remind you of 2008? My Stunning Mystery Companion, the song Bill sang at the wedding.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

i. happier or sadder? Happier. I feel a lot better.

ii. thinner or fatter? Fatter, but not too much.

iii. richer or poorer? About the same, which is a miracle.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Traveling and relaxing with family and friends.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Spending energy on the organization I used to work for.

20. How will you be spending the Winter? Knitting, looking for work again.

22. Did you fall in love in 2008? No, but I stayed in love!

23. What was your favorite month of 2008? October. Band and wedding planning were fun but tiring.

24. What was your favorite TV program? Fringe, Bones or House.

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? No, I’m working to eliminate that feeling.

26. What was the best book you read? Oh gosh, that book I totally devoured but now I can’t remember its name. Then Lee read it and devoured it.

27. What was your greatest musical discovery? Ack, there are two or three new groups the kids introduced me to that I like a lot, but nothing is coming to mind.
28. What did you want and get? The perfect wedding dress.

29. What was your favorite film of this year? Pineapple Express? I didn’t watch a lot of movies.

30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned 50 and had hoped to do a lot, but just celebrated quietly. So many other people were having parties that it seemed like overkill

31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? To have a satisfying job with benefits that helped me feel useful and creative.

32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008? This year I wore lots of little things I knitted over tanks or long sleeve shirts.

33. What kept you sane? Lee and the kids, meditation, and my lovely anti-anxiety medication.

34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Barack Obama, for whom my respect grew through the year, as I observed how he treated other people.

35. What political issue stirred you the most? I really wanted a more open and honest government. I sure hope I got one.

36. Who did you miss? Jody and Cheri.

37. Who was the best new person you met? Well, no person is “better” than anyone else. But I am happy to have met Parker and Nancy. Both are good friends, good people, and bring me joy.

38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008: That having stability in the home and family helps you deal with instability elsewhere. I am so grateful to Lee and my really great kids.

No comments: