There's More to Life Than Knitting!

Join Suna as she stops knitting long enough to ponder her life, share her joys and concerns, and comment on the goings on in the world.
You are very welcome here, so feel free to comment and contribute!

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Oy, 6 AM Is Early


It is going to take me a while to get used to taking three sweet band students to school two days a week. I have to get them there between 6:45 and 6:50. Argh. It is now 5 pm and I am dead tired. I guess one good thing is I get to work BRIGHT and early so I will have lots of time to leave early on Friday!

My socks look sort of funny in the picture. That's because I took the photo at an angle. They are normal socks, with the tops as wide as the bottoms. Certainly an interesting yarn--very subtle in colors. I ot them to match fairly closely, so I am satisfied. They are Opal Silk/Wool and I did them on 00 needles with 72 stitches per round. Enough about socks.

I got a bunch of new tarot books yesterday, which I really should talk about on the tarot blog, I guess. Jody said they had a lot at this new Half Price Books store, and they sure did. Nice new store, too, in the former KMart near Our Beloved Fry's Store. I got a bunch of books in the advanced tarot topics series (including that book on designing your own spreads that both Diane and I thought one of us owned already). Plus the Dear Partner insisted I buy one (it was $3!) by some very amusing fellow who must be both my age AND gay judging from his humor and pop culture references (I checked, yep, has a dude partner). He also writes in the "adult learning" style that the person I used to work with who was a learning expert writes in, so that is also sorta eerie. Like she is "there"--I'll have to see if she knows the guy. Anyway, the book is a 30-day course in using the tarot in really different experimental ways, so I think I will enjoy it, as well as the "my age liberal pagan gay-friendly person" humor. I did find it most charming that DP picked out a tarot book for me.

I also got a book about the history of red dye. Cochineal. I guess that is also purple. But anyway, I love that sort of book (those of you who know me well may remember my rantings about how great the book Salt was or the one about The Pencil). So, I ever stop knitting, I surely have stuff to read. Dye seems like an appropriate topic, anyway, as we may be dyeing on Saturday and Tina might even get "real" dye in addition to Kool-Aid. Hope we all have enough dye vats. Maybe I should get some cheap buckets.

I started a mat of some sort with a Barbara G. Walker lace pattern in its center, in very intense blue-green cotton yarn. We will see if that comes out better than the yellow hankie (which looks VERY nice now that it is BLOCKED--see Cheri, I said "blocked").

The boys are surviving school--the young one had a rough first day, but is better today. The old one finds marching band too easy now, or something. Sheesh. Master of his craft.

Things at ALE are OK. I am writing like crazy, and only get overwhelmed by it occasionally. I seem to be doing OK, in any case. The boss said I did a great job on my first official written item. Woo.

Happy birthday to old friend Joanne, and to my friend's daughter who is 9, and to oh so many people born around this time!

Comments

Tina said...
By the way, I think the KoolAid dye has to be heated (either microwave or stovetop) for the dye to set, so maybe everyone should bring some sort of pot? Unless you know of another way to KoolAid dye (I'm going by the directions on knitpicks.com).
Tuesday, August 15, 2006 10:20:00 PM

knittingwoman said...
Hi SueAnn!!!!Hannah Bird told me about your blog. I am completely addicted to knitting too but don't have a blog just write sometimes on LJ.I'll be a regular reader now.
Wednesday, August 16, 2006 12:03:00 PM

knittingwoman said...
oh, I should identify myself. I'm Susanna in eastern canada.
Wednesday, August 16, 2006 12:03:00 PM

Suna said...
Tina--I don't know anything about dyeing. We should probably chat about all the equipment and stuff. I do have a microwave.Susanna, I am guessing you are the same one I have known for all these years? In that case, welcome. Well, welcome in any case. I will email soon--I was out of the house all day yesterday.
Thursday, August 17, 2006 2:17:00 PM

Tina said...
I'll be by the store Friday afternoon, and we can chat then, if you want.Hopefully I'll be there by 1 or 2, I have a job interview before, so after that I'll stop at home to change and then I'll be there.I ordered more yarn to dye, and it's in Dallas. I hope it gets here by Saturday (its not "supposed" to be here until Monday).I'll bring a printout of the koolaid dye instrustions from KnitPicks so we can examine them, and I know I'll bring something to dye in, but we'll discuss specifics Friday.
Thursday, August 17, 2006 5:13:00 PM

No comments: