There's More to Life Than Knitting!

Join Suna as she stops knitting long enough to ponder her life, share her joys and concerns, and comment on the goings on in the world.
You are very welcome here, so feel free to comment and contribute!

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Bordering on Happy...Watch Out

You know I don't spend a lot of time posting about how durned happy, but I have just had a few really nice days, so it's hard to deny that I am enjoying life at the moment.

Of course, being Suna, I have odd reactions to happy things. Today we were "leaked" the info that there will be a permanent job in our department opening up. It's currently my fondest wish. To get to keep working with the same folks I work with now would be so, um, "awesome." But I panicked and sorta felt sick at first. I know there are others in my dept, and other former contractors, too, who would love this job. And while I am really sure I have a lot of great qualities and that my colleagues and boss like my work, I also know that the two new guys are also really good. Oh well, as Work Man put it, ALE is a competitive environment, so you have to be up to competition. And use all the advantages you have. Thank goodness I have at least one permanent employee who'll let me know what kinds of questions they'll ask, what they want to see on my resume and all that. That same employee said at one point today, very quietly, that he will do everything he can do make me permanent--he doesn't want to think of not having me around--he'd miss the other half of his brain, I countered. Yeah, that mutual devotion thing will help a lot! It's been a lot of fun getting to know a new, good, friend that well. Lots of laughing, fun coincidences, and really fun work, believe it or not. I have missed having someone like the Wonderful Dave to work with--someone who works like I do and enjoys doing creative stuff as a team. Yet lets me work alone when I have to write (and vice versa).

I do have strong reactions to things. A coversation about war, the draft, and kids going to war started at work. Work Man told us about his son writing about the sound of a bullet going past him, and how he couldn't read any farther. I got nauseated, just to think of anyone's son having to go through that. All I could say was, "I guess I have really strong feelings about this." I know everyone thought I was being a self righteous pacifist or being judgmental about people who volunteer for wars or whatever. But this one was just a part of how strongly I feel about the kids. My kids. His only kid. Austin's son. That they should not have to be placed in places where other kids shoot at them. Since they kept on talking about it, I had to leave for a while. I did get a nice hug out of Work Man when I came back. But I am not sure, sometimes, why I have such strong feelings about only certain things. Most things I have a perhaps overly existential view on. But the three or four issues that get me, they really get me. I just can't believe people really WANT the world to be set up this way. But I guess they do.

Ha, this evening, the older boy and DP were having a "discussion" about how the world should be, and I listened to his passion about human rights (though he sees things a bit "sideways"), and I sure did see myself. It is absolutely thrilling to hear my own child arguing strongly and surely about what he believes, and hearing how his thought processes are maturing. I am glad he is in the youth group, even if it's a pain for him to get there--I know he gets to talk about issues that matter with like-minded young people and some really thoughtful adults.

Highlight of older boy's recent life? He got to dance with the tuba players in the Baylor Band last night, at Festival of the Bands. He was so THRILLED. And the band was so good. Wow. Our kids made me proud. Plus the younger boy and his middle school band were by FAR the best middle school band there--he's performed a lot lately, too, and drummed well. Oh, and my "third boy," the eighth-grade tuba player I met at the first football game of he season, he did well, too. He and my younger boy really enjoyed sitting with the high school band on Friday and playing songs with them. This kid's a hoot--very outgoing and good with adults. His dad just watches him and shakes his head (the dad is nice, too).

I'm proud of the younger boy, who is sticking up for himself at school in a very mature way. He was stuck in classes with a very disruptive kid who once tried to hurt him. But he managed to convince the guidance counselors to let him switch two of his classes, so he could concentrate better. I didn't have to do it for him. He did it himself. This is the same child who used to just put his head on his desk when stressed out at school. Amazing.

And hey, I finished a pair of socks. I took pictures, but I can't get them to show up, I guess, once I have typed something in here.

translation: At this point I am thinking of Lee as a really, really good friend, whom I could like more, but can't. I did hug him before I went home, after he was so nice about the war thing. And I realized at this point that he liked me as much as I liked him. But there was no indication of anything other than being friends. Anyway, for those interested in chronology, that was the first hug.

Comments

Anonymous who is really Tina said...
Yay for being happy!Don't let ALE tell you that you are "too good" for a promotion/permanant position - they told Bryce that when he worked there several years ago. I should be at CwS tonight, though I don't know how long. Kat is moving here tomorrow, so I have to finish some cleaning stuff tonight. Icarus is still unfinished, I still have sock ADD, and my brother's baby is due earlier than they thought so I've been devoting energy to knitting baby stuff.I have good news at my workplace, as well - remind me to tell you about it.
Wednesday, October 25, 2006 10:33:00 AM

Anonymous said...
So, in addition to adding my blog to bluebonnet's site, you should add this knitting podcast: http://limenviolet.com/ (their blog is here: http://limenviolet.blogspot.com/). There is much giggling, and hilarity, and it's not always PG but it reminds me of CwS, hehe.I also enjoy "It's a Purl, Man" - which is hosted by a male knitter (gasp!), and is quite enjoyable. There's another one called "At the Yarn Shop" which I love but hasn't been updated in a while.I have more, but there's at work and I can't remember them. :sigh:
Wednesday, October 25, 2006 10:04:00 PM

Sam said...
I love that you have a chance at that job. I am vibing hard and lighting candles that if this is the right job for you, then it should be yours.Take careSam
Thursday, October 26, 2006 10:37:00 PM

No comments: