There's More to Life Than Knitting!

Join Suna as she stops knitting long enough to ponder her life, share her joys and concerns, and comment on the goings on in the world.
You are very welcome here, so feel free to comment and contribute!

Friday, October 13, 2006

Clear Vision

I wanted to share an experience from yesterday. I took the older boy to get contact lenses yesterday. He takes a lot of showers and changes clothing without prompting now, so I felt like he could probably handle it, and it is really not good to try putting the lacrosse helmet on over glasses--he ruined a really lovely pair this time last year by doing that. So, he goes in and gets approved for them, and makes the decision for himself as to what kind he wants (I just listened). Then the doctor put in the contacts--he got them in the first try.

He looked around the room. The biggest, hugest, most awed smile came across his face. I don't think I have seen him so happy since we went to the Former Work conference in 2005. Then he said, "Wow, peripheral vision--I haven't had that in SO long!" And he was thrilled to be able to see me out of the corner of his eye. I am betting his lacrosse and marching will improve with his new vision.

It takes a while to get used to him without glasses, but it is a good thing. He seems to be taking it very seriously, and will carefully build up wearing time.

It will be a long weekend from now on--Pfootball at Pflugerville tonight, then Dear Partner and I go to a state park, where he has a gig in a cave and they are letting us have a rustic cabin for the night. Then we come back and he has some fundraiser to do sound for, then his brother shows up for a week. I am so not prepared, but will cope.

Comments

Anonymous said...
Aw, how cool! A gig in a cave AND peripheral vision!I miss my contacts, hehe. I wore them every day from when I was 12 until I was a senior in High School, when I got way too busy to bother with putting them in every day. Then when I got to where I wanted to/was able to wear them every day, they dried my eyes out really bad.I've yet to find some that work for me.See ya Saturday at the LYS, right?
Friday, October 13, 2006 9:14:00 AM

knittingwoman said...
my 2 middle boys wear contact lenses. For similar reasons, it is difficult to wear glasses in a fencing mask. The older of them who is 19 works as a paramedic and just switched to the 30 day contacts that he can keep lenses in for more than 24 hours if he is working. I got contacts at 16 and loved them, gave up wearing them after about 15 years. The newer ones are great and the 2 week then throw them out is great for teens.
Friday, October 13, 2006 9:20:00 AM

Sam said...
He is growing up! It is neat to read about the maturation of friend's children although if mine would slow down and stay the age they are now for a few more years I would be very happy.Have a wonderful time in the cabin and in the cave. A weekend away sounds glorious.Take careSam
Friday, October 13, 2006 9:36:00 PM

Barbara said...
Awesome on the contacts front. It is so exciting when they grow up and reach a sort of milestone that they are excited about. I can't wait to hear about the cave concert -- how cool to hear real 'underground' music. :)
Sunday, October 15, 2006 10:36:00 AM

Jennifer said...
Coolness on the contacts. :D I am utterly phobic and skeeved out by the thought of touching my eyeball, but I am assuming Alice will want contacts when she is older. Her lenses are SO thick and *whispering so she can't hear me* she looks so much better without her glasses on!
Monday, October 16, 2006 7:06:00 PM

No comments: