There's More to Life Than Knitting!

Join Suna as she stops knitting long enough to ponder her life, share her joys and concerns, and comment on the goings on in the world.
You are very welcome here, so feel free to comment and contribute!

Sunday, July 9, 2006

Green Means Go!


Well, here ya go, a picture of the completed green shawl, as it lies on the green carpet, blocking (because the shawl has rounded shoulders, they recommended blocking it folded as in the photo. I feel relieved that it actually blocked out to the right dimensions. The color is a bit "funky" due to lighting oddities, but that's the way it looks, anyway. It is still damp in the photo, so there are darker areas that will be gone by tomorrow, I hope! I sure hope the recipient likes it!

I soaked the shawl for quite a while with a bit of shampoo, then rinsed it with violet scented conditioner (because that was the cheapest I had, and the lovely gay couple who raise sheep that I met last week told me that's the best thing to do to soften the wool). Those guys felt it is a combination of the yarn being from shetland sheep and the chemical dyes that made the wool less than incredibly soft, but said a lot of soaking and conditioner would help--"after all, wool is hair." So, thanks, kind yarn men. Photo of finished project will come when it's dry!

And speaking of green stuff, light me a green candle of luck/prosperity for tomorrow, as I head out into the world of being a very, very small transitory fish in the biggest pond in Austin tomorrow. I know I will have a lot to deal with, coming from an environment of working at home as a big fish in a small nonprofit where everyone knew who I was. I think it will be good experience, though, and perhaps a NICE change to be an anonymous corporate cog for a while. I hope I learn new, useful stuff, and meet interesting people. I have what I hope is an OK outfit picked out (the email I received said to "dress professionally" but I don't know if I need to wear a suit or not). I have some simple food I can take, small photos of the kids, and a couple of rocks. Once I knew the environment, I will bring along other stuff--I have no idea how they handle email, IMs and all that stuff. I'll file my unemployment stuff one last time in the morning before I leave!

Think of me tomorrow as I show up promptly at 9 am, if the traffic allows! Go me!

Comments

Jennifer said...
Ahhh, anonymous corporate cog. You've described my dream job. (Seriously!) :)I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. :)
Sunday, July 09, 2006 5:19:00 PM

Tina said...
Aw, good luck! I don't know if I told you or not, but I'm doing the retail thing again (which I tried to avoid). I'm working at Home Depot (not the one by Bluebonnet - that was too much to hope for). They're a wonderful company, I've worked for them before. AND I might get to dye my hair pink again! There's no specific dress code against it, it's up to each store manager, so let's hope I have a cool one!Good luck tomorrow! I'll be at Chicks Wednesday if I don't have to work (I can't remember if I do or not at this point).
Sunday, July 09, 2006 9:00:00 PM

sandy said...
Good luck today, hope it goes well and that cool job is just around the corner waiting for you.
Monday, July 10, 2006 10:35:00 AM

No comments: