There's More to Life Than Knitting!

Join Suna as she stops knitting long enough to ponder her life, share her joys and concerns, and comment on the goings on in the world.
You are very welcome here, so feel free to comment and contribute!

Thursday, July 6, 2006

Two knitting books


I got in two knitting books recently, so I thought I'd write about them. The only other excitement of today was that we went to see Superman Returns. I liked it, even if it WAS sorta chick-flik-y. I have always felt sorry for Kal-El. He has so much of a burden. What a lonely life for someone who thinks and feels so deeply (long time fan, here, since I learned to read).

So, Vogue Knitting on the Go: Shawls: Another of that series of teeny books with not too complex patterns in them. I do have quite a few. The image at left is of a baby blanket (still not blocked) I made from an early baby volume. Anywho, this book has some of those blobby things made with blobby yarn or endless drop stitch ribbon yarn ones that don't impress me much, but I like the cover shawl, which is a Silk Garden shawl made of wedges that are crocheted together. Very rainbow. And there's one shawl with very thin yarn and an occasional single row of ribbon that I think would look pretty in that Sari ribbon yarn and something shell pink. I guess there are at least two things I might knit in it, so it is worth owning. There are so many different tastes in wraps and so many different skill levels that this has something for everyone except the super lace knitters--but then the Gathering of Lace book has that covered (more to my taste in shawls, too)

As for the Vogue Knitting Stitchionary 2: Cables, this one is more up my alley. I just can't get enough of books that are collections of stitch patterns, and since my Barbara G. Walker books are HIDING somewhere, this one will come in handy. There are lots and lots of cable patterns in this book, many of which I am sure would look good marching down the side or back of a sock (what I'd like to knit next). And there ARE charts for each of the patterns, which comes as good news to those of us who can visualize what we are supposed to be doing better with a graph. The word descriptions are very clear, as well. I appreciate having both. That said, I thought the book's organization was a bit quirky. Why are diamonds and pretzels grouped? What's a combination? I would probably group patterns by how many stitches they cover, which would make it oh-so-handy for sock and Aran planners. Then, they could have rated each pattern within any number of stitches by difficulty. Oh, if only I were a knitting book editor (dream job, mmm). Also, while it is very tasteful and "mod" to knit all the samples in the same drab colors, the book was rather boring to me, visually, because of that. Still I am sure I will browse through this one many times, just as I have done with Volume 1 of the series.

Now I will go enjoy a margarita and finish the last of the lace patterning in the shawl. Don't worry, I am at the simpler part.

Comments

DianeS said...
I remember you knitting that baby blanket. I can't tell you how much better I feel about myself that it is still unblocked. I've got three sitting on the floor by me that just need a bit of finishing. And blocking. Which I really need to do, since the babies they were made for have arrived and could presumably be using them.
Thursday, July 06, 2006 11:40:00 PM

No comments: