There's More to Life Than Knitting!

Join Suna as she stops knitting long enough to ponder her life, share her joys and concerns, and comment on the goings on in the world.
You are very welcome here, so feel free to comment and contribute!

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Nice Little Shawl, Sad World

Here is the finished shawl I made with the yarn I dyed with KoolAid, finally. When I first finished it, it was tiny! It was the size of a headscarf, and I wore it babushka-like to Starbucks down from the knitting shop, as a joke. Thank goodness blocking is my friend, and it actually ended up only an inch less in width and exactly the right length as the shawl in the pattern (Interweave Knits, Fall 2006 I think). Click it to see it better, and especially click the close-up version, where you can see the very tedious p5togs that made up the bluebells in the border. Or snowdrops, or whatever they were supposed to be. I am glad the yarn didn't end up detracting too much from the pattern. I have started another shawl in very pale colors of suri alpaca, but really and truly DO think it is too loose (really Tina, I think it is over gauge and will check with Jody on Saturday if y'all live through Friday). I also started one in Lorna's Laces Helen's Lace in blues and tan, the faroese shawl with hearts. It is way harder than the green one--lots of complex stitches that better actually make an interesting pattern.

I have had a long and interesting day at work, more of that new friendship fun that I am enjoying so much lately, but I am tired from learning so many things.

And I am sad about my former work, just because some of the women I worked with are so disappointed in how they were treated in the last day or so. I think it is best that I am gone and not all involved with it, so it doesn't hurt me as much as it does them to find out that they were kept in the dark about plans, mislead or whatever. And after I had the realization today, finally, that the reason why I was so upset is that I didn't feel like an employer dismissed me, but like my family had disowned me and stopped speaking to me, I felt some closure. I now "get" why I was so hurt. And I will not ever, ever mistake a group of coworkers for a "sisters" again. Shoot, I can't hardly believe I am allowing myself to make friends at work, period. Sometimes you can't help it. But I will draw a line, I hope.

I do feel better about most stuff, though, really. Just writing to process, but now will go be an American and watch my favorite TV show.

translation: yes, the work fun referred to involves Lee (and Greg, and other coworkers). We simply have a good time doing stuff. No crime.

Comments

Sam said...
{{{{{Suna}}}}}I hope you find a place where you feel safe to have friends in your new job and they have the presence of mind to treat you the way you deserve to be treated. You did make some great friends at your other job and they do still love you.Have a FABULOUS day!!!Sam
Friday, September 29, 2006 8:35:00 AM


She who paddling her own canoe said...
Bingo! Yay for you and your moment of enlightenment! I hope it brings you one step closer to closure and healing. (((hugs)))One suggestion: Let your hair down at work! Enjoy the company of your co-workers. Don't mistake the environment you're in now, for the environment you left behind. Remember the old saying- Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe. :)BEAUTIFUL shawl! I'm amazed that you can craft such wonderful things. You're craf-tay. :)Take care, SAK. Wishing you continued success and happiness!
Saturday, September 30, 2006 1:15:00 AM

No comments: