There's More to Life Than Knitting!

Join Suna as she stops knitting long enough to ponder her life, share her joys and concerns, and comment on the goings on in the world.
You are very welcome here, so feel free to comment and contribute!

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Smile at This News


I read this on the World Wide Words Newsletter:

Smile, please: Wednesday 19 September was the 25th anniversary of the invention of the smiley character in online communications, also known as the emoticon. The :-) symbol, necessarily created from standard ASCII keyboard characters, was invented on 19 September 1982 by Scott E Fahlman in a post on a bulletin board at Carnegie Mellon University. It formed part of a thread on the way humorous remarks could be tagged to avoid misunderstandings. His message was brief, though a trifle ungrammatical: “I propose that the following character sequence for joke markers: :-) Read it sideways.” Scott Fahlman is these days Research Professor of Computer Science at Carnegie Mellon University.

Well, I think I will mark my calendar for future observances. Does anyone know who invented LOL? And can I call that day "Black Tuesday" or whatever day of the week that occurred??

I survived the football game, though Lee got an injury from stomping on the stands too hard. Still no apology from Intolerant Woman. But she spoke to me. I was politely distant. And our team won, without the wonderful Aaron Williams. Neither team played exactly "well," however. I never saw so many spectacular fumbles and interceptions.

We're off to watch Beccano bang on a cymbal shortly! Back to Belton High School! Which reminds me. I always get sort of nervous being near military bases, like, dang, if they start bombing, I am near a major target. My mind does work in odd ways at times.

No comments: