There's More to Life Than Knitting!

Join Suna as she stops knitting long enough to ponder her life, share her joys and concerns, and comment on the goings on in the world.
You are very welcome here, so feel free to comment and contribute!

Tuesday, November 7, 2006

Singing, and Issues Therewith



Here is a photo I found of the guys I sing with. When we were younger. In doing so, I discovered we have been rehearsing since at least 1999. I love these guys (really, I literally love these guys--I don't wanna sing with guys I don't love!). But they sure rehearse a lot and perform a little. Most of our "gigs" have been church services, which means, naturally, that DP (domestic partner) never has really seen us perform. But he has plenty of opinions on the rehearsal part, so we don't rehearse at my house any more, even though it's nice to have the professional keyboard and stuff. And yeah, it's true. The one on the left is about as anal retentive as they come, and way more "authoritative" than his actual skills and talents authorize him to be. The one on the right is so ADD and jumpy sometimes that it drives me nuts.

But, we have so much fun working out harmonies most of the time, and working out arrangements. It's good for the soul, regardless of the fact than none of us sing ALL that well--we just have a VERY good blend when we all are "on."

I stopped singing last year. DP's comments about how nasal I am and how I don't do this or that right just got to me at some point and then, when I heard a tape of a rehearsal with some other folks I said, gee, I pretty much suck. And stopped. I know I don't totally suck. I can read music. I have really good pitch most of the time. Just not such a polished voice. And I'd take lessons, say, from the lady down the street, but I don't want to hear the hurtful stuff from DP.

They asked me to sing again, and I thought I'd say no. But I do miss it. And Work Man is interested, misses performing, which might bring a smidge of professionalism in the mix. Or cause dude on the left to explode. Is this a good or bad idea? Probably some of each. At least they all have incredibly goofy senses of humor and similar musical tastes.

We rehearsed last night, the three of us. And it went OK. Took a while to remember some of the songs we tried, but we got there. And we found some fun new things to try for the purported gig we might have in January. I got to sing "I Only Have Eyes for You" and it didn't hurt my ears, though it probably sounds worse to others.

I guess I will go back to choir for the holiday season, if I can get my knitting classes done in time. They do need me. I will just put that self doubt behind me and enjoy music. Music is good for me, and uses another part of my brain, like knitting and tarot do. That is good. Focus on the good.

PS: my fortune from yesterday's lunch: You have a potential urge and the ability for accomplishment.

We attempted to take that as a good sign.

translation: We spend most of our lunches talking about how to best get me that job I ended up not getting by a hair. Lee was really supportive. In a friendly way. I was still glad he wanted to sing with us.

Comments

Sam said...
As someone who proudly posesses one of your CDs and listens to it on a regular basis, I am not sure who DP thinks he is for telling you that you can't sing. You voice may not be the style that *he* wants to listen to, but it is the style that *I* want to listen to. I am glad you are back at it. I think your choir will feel quite lucky to have you back as well.
Wednesday, November 08, 2006 9:02:00 AM


DianeS said...
Being one of the altos in said choir, I heartily agree! We will be very glad to have you back. You can tell DP from me, if you want, that he's a complete idiot. If he was all that wonderful, somebody'd be paying him.
Thursday, November 09, 2006 12:42:00 AM


Nancy Jo said...
I'm so glad to hear that you're back to singing. It is good for you and you are good for it. DP has fallen from my favor, as I have mentioned before. :-(Iris
Saturday, November 11, 2006 11:21:00 AM


Christine (woogies@yahoo.com) said...
Singing a profession, or passion, or pleasure. If singing going to be profession then training necessary. If other then fO the DP person. U do not have to put of with negative. What does religious leader think.Look into your religous beliefs with direction on the issue and others. Might need to get religous help with the problems in your life.
Saturday, November 11, 2006 6:15:00 PM


Anonymous said...
Sing!Singsingsingsingsing!Then sing some more, it's good for the soul.How can I purchase one of your c ds?Des
Saturday, November 11, 2006 8:26:00 PM


Suna said...
The only me CDs are a little demo we made a few years ago, and we have never sold any. Maybe if we get our group together a bit more, we'll record again. Problem is, DP is the person with the studio, and he thinks we aren't too good.And as for my religious views, they are quite helpful to me. And both the ministers at my church are wonderful harmony singers, too--the female one is in a choir I'd love to join some day, when things settle a bit.
Monday, November 13, 2006 1:06:00 PM

No comments: